The Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding was (when I lived at home, Mum is still very much alive and kicking, HI MUM!) Mum's go-to dessert I think. I remember it making semi-regular appearances for Sunday dinners and special occasions.
When I moved out of home I dutifully wrote it up and put it in my recipe display book, and when I made it tonight I was struggling to find it in my recipe binder. When I did eventually locate it, I had to prise the pages apart because they were stuck together with what appeared to a mix of cocoa and brown sugar. Oops.
|Ye olde faithful display book, resplendent with stains.|
I've adapted the recipe a little bit over time to suit my tastes more. This of course means a bit more sugar and cocoa.
It's a wonderful pudding to put in the oven as you're serving dinner, and it just burbles away merrily with no intervention needed from you until it's allotted time is served in the oven. Then you serve it to your guests, or just yourself. Mr S takes his with ice cream, I take mine with lots and lots of the sauce.
|Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding|
Mum's Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding1 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp cocoa
3/4 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup milk
3 tsp vanilla essence
30g melted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup extra cocoa... I usually use about 1/2 cup cocoa here...
1 3/4 cups hot water... I use 2 cups.
- Preheat your oven to 180oC.
- Sift flour and cocoa. Add sugar. (my recipe says sift the sugar. Doesn't work. Just stir it through.)
- Make a well in the centre of the mix, stir in milk, vanilla and melted butter.
- Beat until smooth.
- Pour into a lightly greased dish.
- Sift brown sugar and extra cocoa together. (Again with the sugar sifting. Just pat it on top.)
- Holding a spoon close to the surface, pour the hot water over the top of the pudding.
- Cover and bake for 50 minutes.
Serves 4 or one Amy and one Mr S, twice.
What's your favourite pudding? Tell me! I'm a hungry hungry hippo!